Recipe: Tasty Kenns' Apple crisp
Kenns' Apple crisp.
You can have Kenns' Apple crisp using 15 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Kenns' Apple crisp
- Prepare 1 1/2 C of Flour, all-purpose.
- It’s 1 1/2 C of brown sugar.
- It’s 1 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- You need 1 tsp of apple pie or pumpkin pie spuce.
- It’s 2 C of old fashioned oats, dry.
- Prepare 3 sticks of butter, salted.
- It’s 3 T of orange juice/reserved liquid.
- You need 1 T of granulated sugar.
- You need 1 1/2 T of cornstarch.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of cinnamon.
- Prepare 2 1/2 of # apples/fruit, peeled,cored, diced.
- It’s of This '3 stick' recipe yields crumbs to make 5 crisps.
- Prepare 1/2 C of Dried fruit (opt).
- You need 1/4 C of shivered almonds (opt).
- Prepare of Apples: 3 lg honeycrisp or fuji work best. No red delicious.
Kenns' Apple crisp instructions
- MAKE AHEAD: Crumbles: Sift together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, pie spice. Mix in dry oats. Cut butter sticks into 4 long sticks, then cut each stick into pea-size cubes..
- Add butter cubes to flour mixture, one stick at a time. Mix crumbs with two knives until incorporated. Place crumbs in zip-loc bag and refrigerate until using. (5 batches).
- PREPARE CRISP: If using dried fruit, plump in microwave and allow to cool before going ahead. Plce dried fruit in a small bowl with enough orange juice to cover and microwave for 30-45 seconds until hot. Cool and reserve liquid. Use the liquid to mix with the cornstarch before adding fresh fruits. Add plumped dried fruits last before topping with crumbs..
- Preheat oven to 425° (395° convection ocen) Grease (with butter or Pam) a 9" pie pan or round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix cool juice/ cornstarch, sugar and cinnamon until smooth. Peel, core and cube fresh fruit, placing in juice/ cornstarch mixture and tossing to coat..
- Place prepared fruit in pan in a single layer. Top with crumbs (and nuts if using). Do not pack. Sprinkle with white sugar (to caramelize and get crunchy). Bake for 30 minutes until browned and crispy..
- If using nuts, put 1/2 the crumbs on top of the fruit, add nuts and then the rest of crumbs. Nuts brown faster than crumbs..
- Fruit suggestions: pineapple/apple: approx 2C pineapple and 1 apple. peach/apple: 2 peaches and 1 apple. Apple/craisin: 3 apples, 1/2C dried cranberries plumped. Apple/blueberry: 1/2 pint blueberries and 2 apples. Apple/cherry: 1 1/2C pitted, halved cherries and one apple. Pear/peach: 1 can each, rinsed chopped peaches and pears..