Recipe: Appetizing Vickys Shortcrust Pineapple Pie, GF DF EF SF NF
Vickys Shortcrust Pineapple Pie, GF DF EF SF NF.
You can cook Vickys Shortcrust Pineapple Pie, GF DF EF SF NF using 8 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Vickys Shortcrust Pineapple Pie, GF DF EF SF NF
- It’s of Enough gluten-free pastry for a double crust 8 inch pie, see my.
- You need of ..previously posted recipe or use 2 packs of Jus-Rol gluten-free.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Vitalite or safe 'butter'.
- You need 1 tin of pineapple chunks in juice, drained and juice reserved.
- It’s 1 tin of pineapple tidbits in juice, drained.
- It’s 2 tsp of cornflour / cornstarch.
- It’s 50-100 g of sugar(1/4 – 1/2 a cup) depending on p/apple sweetness.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of reserved juice from the pineapple chunks.
Vickys Shortcrust Pineapple Pie, GF DF EF SF NF step by step
- Preheat the oven to gas 4 / 180C / 350F.
- Using 2/3 of your shortcrust pastry, roll out into a circle around 4mm thick and line an 8 inch loose-bottomed pie tin.
- Prick the base with a fork, line with parchment paper and weight down with baking beans. Blind bake for 15 minutes then remove the parchment and beans and bake a further 5 minutes.
- Gently melt the 'butter' in a frying pan and add the pineapple chunks. Fry for a few minutes until softened and easily crushed then add the tin of drained tidbits.
- Make a slurry from the cornflour and pineapple juice then add to the pan. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes until thickened. Add sugar to taste. Depending on the pineapple brand I've used anything from 2 tbsp sugar to 8 tbsp.
- Let the filling cool slightly then add to the baked pastry case. (I added the leftover cherries from a previous recipe just to get rid of them).
- Now you can simply roll out the remaining pastry to around 3mm thick and top the pie with a disc or you can make a lattice top like mine. It takes longer but it looks pretty. Cut strips from your remaining rolled out pastry around 1cm wide with a pizza cutter.
- Place in one direction on top of your pie, not quite touching.
- Pull every 2nd strip back on themselves and lay a new strip across the top of the unfolded strips, then put the 1st lot of strips back down.
- Now fold back the strips that didn't move the first time. Lay a new strip across those then unfold the strips back over the pie.
- Continue weaving the strips in this way until the top is done then trim off the excess. This pie top is self vented. If you choose to put a solid circle crust on top, poke 4 vent holes near the middle to let the steam escape.
- Brush the pie top with the reserved pineapple juice and bake at gas 5 / 190C / 375F for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Let the pie cool and slice it at room temperature or chilled. If you slice it hot the filling will be too thin and spill out. You can serve it warm in a bowl with ice cream or at room temp on a plate. You could use all tidbits instead of chunks but I like enjoy a chunk here and there for another texture!.