Recipe: Perfect Our Family Recipe for Coconut Milk Curry
Our Family Recipe for Coconut Milk Curry.
You can have Our Family Recipe for Coconut Milk Curry using 19 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Our Family Recipe for Coconut Milk Curry
- You need 1 of thigh Chicken thigh.
- It’s 2 tbsp of ☆Plain yogurt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ☆Turmeric.
- Prepare 1 dash of ☆Salt and pepper.
- It’s 1 of to 2 Potatoes.
- It’s 1 large of Onion.
- Prepare 1 of Vegetable oil or butter.
- Prepare 1 of piece/clove each ◎Garlic and ginger.
- It’s 1 of ◎Red chili pepper.
- It’s 1 of ◎Bay leaf.
- It’s 3 cm of ◎Cinnamon stick.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ◎Cumin seeds.
- You need 1 tbsp of White wine.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tbsp of ●Curry powder.
- You need 200 ml of ●Water.
- It’s 2 tbsp of each ●Ketchup and Japanese Worcestershire-style sauce.
- It’s 1 can of Coconut milk.
- It’s 2 tsp of Garam masala.
- It’s 1 dash of Cardamon powder.
Our Family Recipe for Coconut Milk Curry instructions
- Cut the chicken into bite sizes. Poke several holes with a fork, and rub into the ☆ ingredients. Leave to marinate for about 20 minutes. Please cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate..
- Cut the potatoes into easy to eat pieces (peeled or unpeeled, your choice). Peel the onion. Slice one half thinly, and grate the other half..
- Put vegetable oil and all the ◎ ingredients in a pot. Crush the ginger with the skin intact if you can. Stir fry over low heat until fragrant..
- Add sliced onion and stir fry. When the slices have wilted, add grated onion. You don't have to caramelized the onion slices – just cook until they smell sweet. The cumin scent is very strong, so you may not be able to discern from the onion fragrance, but after making this a few times you'll get used to detecting it..
- Add potatoes and stir fry. When the pieces start to become translucent, turn the heat off..
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan, and pan fry the chicken from Step 1. Add white wine and boil for about 10 seconds..
- Add the chicken with the pan juices to the pot from Step 5..
- Add all the ● ingredients and mix. Simmer for 10-15 minutes over low-medium heat. The photo shows how it looks before simmering..
- This photo shows how it looks after simmering. The cinnamon stick should have softened and fallen apart at this stage, so take it out..
- Add coconut milk and stir to combine. Simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes over medium heat..
- Finally, add garam masala and cardamon powder and mix in. Simmer for 1 minute, then turn off the heat. Take out the bay leaf, garlic, and ginger..
- Transfer to a serving plate and it's done. The red chili pepper in the photo is for garnishing, and not for eating..
- It's hard to measure spices packed as in the Step 13 photo with a measuring spoon, so I looked it up in books and it seems that most powdered spices are 2 g for 1 teaspoon. I don't think you need to be too particular about this, but if you are wondering, use as reference..
- Bonus: I used mixed fruit yogurt to marinate the chicken instead of plain yogurt (see photo, back right). Since I add mango chutney to the curry sometimes, I thought it may work. It was delicious..