How to Make Yummy A Farmhouse Recipe for Sauerkraut
A Farmhouse Recipe for Sauerkraut.
You can have A Farmhouse Recipe for Sauerkraut using 7 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of A Farmhouse Recipe for Sauerkraut
- Prepare 1 kg of Cabbage.
- Prepare of [A].
- You need 20 grams of Coarse salt.
- It’s 5 grams of Caraway seeds.
- Prepare of [B].
- Prepare 1 of leaf Bay leaf.
- You need 1 of Red chili pepper.
A Farmhouse Recipe for Sauerkraut step by step
- Remove the core and outer leaves from the cabbage, and slice the remainder thinly with a slicer or mandoline..
- Add the [A] ingredients to the finely shredded cabbage, and massage lightly until it starts to release moisture..
- Put the cabbage in an easy-tsukemono (pickling) container. Make sure to include the moisture that came out when you massaged it..
- Cover the shredded cabbage with one of the whole outer leaves..
- Weigh down the cabbage (if you are using an easy-pickling container, make sure you screw the top on tight, otherwise put on another weight) and leave to rest in a cool dark place for about a week. Some scum in the form of foam may rise to the top. If it does, remove it..
- When a lot of moisture has come out of the cabbage and the cabbage itself has turned yellow and sour, it's done..
- Transfer to sterilized jars, and keep in a cool dark place. It keeps for about 2 weeks..
- The sourness is from the lactic acid. You can enjoy sauerkraut the same way as you would eat pickles. You can use it in salad or in simmered dishes..
- My recipe for simmered sauerkraut..