Recipe: Perfect Nasi Lemak – A Malaysian Story
Nasi Lemak – A Malaysian Story.
You can have Nasi Lemak – A Malaysian Story using 36 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Nasi Lemak – A Malaysian Story
- It’s of A. Chili Sambal.
- You need 2 c of blended onions (see note 1).
- It’s 1 c of chili paste (see note 2).
- You need 1 tbsp of thick tamarind juice.
- You need of (See note 3).
- You need 25 g of coconut/palm sugar (or more, for a sweeter sambal).
- Prepare 1 tsp of chicken seasoning powder (or as needed).
- Prepare of B. The Rice.
- You need 5 c of Basmathi Rice.
- You need 2 stalks of lemon grass – bruised.
- It’s 10 cm of cut into.
- It’s 5 Slices of young ginger.
- Prepare 270 g of coconut cream – use AYAM BRAND, see pic.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare of C. Basic accompaniments.
- You need 1 of cucumber – sliced.
- Prepare of Dried Anchovies – fried until crispy.
- Prepare of Raw peanuts – toasted until done in a wok with a tbsp of oil.
- It’s of Eggs – boiled or fried.
- You need of Notes:.
- You need 1 of . Blended onions.
- It’s of 👉🏻 1 big brown onion.
- Prepare of 👉🏻 1 shallot.
- It’s of 👉🏻 4 garlic.
- Prepare of 👉🏻 4 candlenuts or cashewnuts.
- Prepare of 👉🏻 a thumb size belacan/terasi/shrimp paste.
- You need of 👉🏻 Blend with 1/3 c of water or as needed.
- You need of 👉🏻 make into 2 cups of thick paste.
- You need 2 of . Chili Paste.
- It’s of 👉🏻 Use a bowl of both mild and hot dried chillies (mixed).
- It’s of 👉🏻 Dried Chillies then cut and soak in hot water to soften.
- It’s of 👉🏻 Next, blend softened chilies with enough water (1/3 c) until fine. Make into a cup of thick paste.
- You need 3 of . Tamarind juice.
- It’s of 👉🏻 Use a thumb size of seedless tamarind paste.
- It’s of 👉🏻 Soak in 2 tbsp of hot water and stir to dissolve.
- It’s of 👉🏻 Use a tbsp for this recipe.
Nasi Lemak – A Malaysian Story instructions
- A. Chili Sambal – Heat 1/2 c of oil (plus extra 1/4 c) in a heated wok. Saute 2 cups of blended onions until aromatic. Add a cup of chilli paste and cook on medium heat until oil is separated from the paste. Add tamarind juice, coconut sugar and chicken seasoning powder. Keep stirring until this pale looking paste mixture turns into a dark and thick sambal paste. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly before removing sambal from the heat..
- B. The Rice – In a rice pot, Wash rice until water is no longer looking cloudy. Drain the water. Place all ingredients in B and mix well with the rice. Measure the level of liquid in the rice pot and then add sufficient water to cook rice. Cook rice as usual. Once cooked, fluff the rice with a chopstick. Note: you can add few cuts of pandan leaves to the rice pot when cooking the rice..
- C. Basic Accompaniments – prepare all accompaniments. Serve with Sambal, rice and the rest of the side dishes or the accompaniments..