Easiest Way to Cook Tasty Soy Chorizo Chili (Vegetarian)
Soy Chorizo Chili (Vegetarian). Trader joe's soy chorizo is the vegan and vegetarian version of traditional chorizo, used here in this easy soy chorizo chili recipe. Soy chorizo is a meat substitute made from soy protein or TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein), and additional spices. If you've been following my blog for awhile, you know that I (almost always) focus on whole food ingredients, and avoid processed foods in my recipes.
And boy it was spicy too!! If your kids can't handle the heat I would recommend. Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo (link) is absolutely amazing. You can have Soy Chorizo Chili (Vegetarian) using 12 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Soy Chorizo Chili (Vegetarian)
- You need 2 (15 oz) of cans of diced tomatoes.
- You need 1 (15 oz) of can tomato sauce.
- It’s 1 of small can green chiles.
- It’s 1 (15 oz) of can chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
- Prepare 1 (15 oz) of can black beans, drained and rinsed.
- You need 1 (15 oz) of can sweet corn.
- You need 1 package (8 oz) of Soy Chorizo, removed from the casing.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It’s 2 tsp of chili powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of paprika.
- It’s 1 tsp of cumin.
- You need 1 cup of water.
It is made in the same factory as non-vegetarian chorizo so it has similar ingredients and the same flavor profile. The texture is better than normal chorizo because it doesn't have any grit or gristle. Soy chorizo is amazing in tacos, burritos, and other places that ground meat would be used. You can also making a pretty bomb soy chorizo chili.
Soy Chorizo Chili (Vegetarian) instructions
- Combine all ingredients in your cooking pot of choice (see below) and stir to mix..
- If you're cooking this in a slow cooker, cook it on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 6-7 hours..
- If you're cooking this on a stovetop, let it simmer for 2 hours (stir it occasionally)..
- If you're prepping this ahead of time, mix it all in a large bowl and then package it in single servings and put it into the freezer; then you can take it out and cook it one serving at a time (which is good for those smaller Instant Pots, haha)..
Stir in the soyrizo toward the end of cooking your favorite tomatoey chili recipe so that it keeps all of its delicious spicy flavor. Soy Chorizo is a soy-based sausage alternative that has all the flavor of a good Mexican chorizo (the fresh sausage crumble, not to be confused with Spanish chorizo, which is dried). It usually comes in a two-link package, and keeps well in the refrigerator or freezer. Vegan Soy Chorizo or Soyrizo or whatever you want to call it, it's spicy, meaty, and delicious! You can find different varieties of soyrizo at many grocery stores.