Recipe: Perfect Chili Oil
You can have Chili Oil using 12 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chili Oil
- You need 1 stick of Cinnamon.
- Prepare 2 of dry bay leaves.
- Prepare 3 of Star Anise.
- Prepare 1/2 Tbsp of Whole Coriander.
- Prepare 1 Tsp of Fennel Seeds.
- You need 1 Tsp of Szechuan Peppercorns.
- It’s 2 cups of neutral cooking oil (vegetable works fine).
- Prepare 100 g of Chili Flakes (or 140g for denser, spicier oil).
- You need 5 of garlic cloves.
- It’s 10 g of Ginger.
- You need 1 tsp of Sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of Salt.
Chili Oil instructions
- Add cinnamon, bay leaves, star anise, coriander, fennel seeds, szechuan peppercorns to a wok on medium high heat, and toast until fragrant while constantly tossing to ensure they don't burn on one side (2-3 minutes, do not burn).
- Pour oil into a heavy saucepan, add toasted spices, 2 smashed garlic cloves, and 5g knob of ginger. Bring oil up to 250F and cook the spices for 5-10 minutes to infuse oil with their flavours.
- Strain the oil into a clean heavy saucepan, and put the clean oil back on heat until oil reaches 350F.
- Put chili flakes in a LARGE HEAT PROOF bowl or large heavy saucepan..
- Once oil has reached 350F, pour half of it into the LARGE HEAT PROOF bowl. The oil will bubble and expand when it hits the chili flakes, so make sure the HEAT PROOF bowl is LARGE enough to not overflow..
- Set the remaining oil aside and allow to cool to about 250F. While oil is cooling, mince the remaining 5g of Ginger and 3 cloves of Garlic. Don't add them during the first pour or they could burn..
- When the oil has cooled to 250, add the garlic, ginger, salt, sugar to the chili flakes and then pour the remining oil in and mix to combine.
- Wait until mixture has reached room temperature and then store in a jar or other airtight container..