Recipe: Yummy Steamed sweet potato with chilli con carne
Steamed sweet potato with chilli con carne.
You can cook Steamed sweet potato with chilli con carne using 20 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Steamed sweet potato with chilli con carne
- It’s 2 pc. of sweet potato, medium (approx 2 x 4 inch each).
- You need 1/2 cup of lean ground beef.
- Prepare 1 pc. of carrot, small, minced.
- You need 1/4 cup of pinto beans (cooked and canned, or refried type).
- You need 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare of Spices.
- Prepare 1 pc. of bell pepper, small (red or green), finely chopped.
- You need 1 pc. of onion, small, finely chopped.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic.
- You need 1 tsp of salt, adjust according to taste.
- It’s 1/8 tsp of ground cumin.
- It’s of Sauce.
- It’s 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- It’s 1/8 tsp of cayenne or chilli pepper.
- Prepare 1/8 cup of lemon / lime/ calamansi juice.
- Prepare Dash of honey, to taste.
- Prepare 1-2 tbsp of water.
- It’s of Optional.
- You need 1/8 tsp of anise seed (optional).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of shredded mozarella, as garnish (optional).
Steamed sweet potato with chilli con carne step by step
- Drain your cooked pinto beans, and set aside 1/4 cup. Transfer remaining pinto beans on a canister and fill it with water then keep it in fridge for future use. If using canned refried pinto beans just set aside 1/4 cups, and transfer the remaining good stuff on a container and store it in fridge..
- Fill large pot with water (about 6-8 cups), set steamer and place washed root crop. Cover with lid. Turn heat to high. Soon as the water boil, turn heat down to medium. Let root crop steam for 30 minutes. NOTE: A. you don't want a burnt pot 🤭, so check water level every 10 minutes. Add water when necessary. B. boiling root crop reduces its natural sweet flavor, which is why I do not recommend that method. C. If you own a microwave, nuke it for 40 mins..
- While the root crop is steaming, chop your onion, garlic, carrot and bell pepper. Set aside..
- Make the sauce. On a small bowl, mix well all "sauce" ingredients. Set aside..
- Time to stir fry spices: Put pan over high heat, soon as it smokes a bit, turn down heat to medium. Wait for 10 seconds before placing olive oil. Stir fry onion until semi translucent, then mix in minced garlic. Soon as garlic is almost golden brown add in cumin, (anise seed – optional) and bell pepper..
- If spices wafts fragrantly at home this point meant it is time to mix in your minced carrots and lean ground beef. Continue stir frying until beef is cooked. Then add in cooked pinto beans and sauce mix. Stir then let it simmer with lid cover, over low heat for about 2-4 minutes. If the sauce is reduced, just add 1 or 2 tbsp water and let it simmer for additional 30 sec. more or less, uncovered. Your chilli con carne is done..
- Your sweet potato is done after 30mins of steaming. But if you want it extra soft, steam it for another 10-15 minutes..
- Take out the root crop off the steamer. Using a wet, but wringed out hand towel, peel off sweet potato skin to discard it..
- On chopping board, cut one sweet potato in half lenght wise, then transfer on one serving bowl. Blanket sweet potato with the chilli con carne, and top it with freshly shredded mozarella cheese (optional). Repeat this step for the other sweet potato, and serve that other set to your love one or a friend. Enjoy!.